About a week and a half ago, a dear cousin of mine lost her 14th month little girl in an accident. I have been extremely impressed with her daily writing on her blog. I've read it everyday and cried many tears. My heart and prayers go out to her and her family. But in one of her daily entries, she told us to write down little moments we remember or notice about our little ones. I've thought over the past couple of days about doing this, but haven't gotten around to it, but it's something that I feel is important.
Aiden Diego Rodriguez
I love my son so deeply but sometimes he is very difficult to like. But just the thought of losing him, makes my heart hurt and my eyes fill with tears. Things he does that I can't help but smile . . .
- When he gets excited or a song comes on with a beat, he does this little shimmy with his upper body.
- When he sees water of any kind, whether it be in a cup, on the street, the ocean or in the shower, he gets so excited and has to be in the middle of it.
- Putting my ipod headphones up to his ear and smiling so big when he can hear the music.
- Taking any phone there is whether it be a real one or his play one and talking into it. His favorite thing is when Ben or I pretend to answer it and talk in "Spanglish" -- "Bueno. You want to talk to el Gordo? Quien habla? His novia?" And then we hand him the phone. He gets so excited, you can't help but laugh.
- He's now starting to do the copycat thing. Everything Ben or I do or say, he tries it. Granted his speech is a little garbled, but he sure tries.
- He thinks that Nana (our new family addition, a puppy) is his own little toy. He doesn't realize that she's so small and he tries to lay on her, pick her up by the tail, kick her like a ball and hold her upside down.
- He loves being read to. Especially "The Itsy Bitsy Spider". I've taken on singing this to him as has Ben. There's a spider that lives in the top corner of our shower, not large, but I'm aware that he is there, as is Ben and Aiden. When we get in the shower, we have to sing the song and he is happy.
- Feeding himself . . . what more can I say?
- There's a drink here that is called "Yokult" and it has been his favorite since he was 2 months old. Don't ask why he has been drinking it since that young, it wasn't exactly my idea. But he goes to the fridge and has me open it and looks for Yokult or yogurt. If there isn't any, he just looks. He doesn't care that all he sees is pots and pans, he just want to look.
- He has now caught me in a web of singing him to sleep. It's terrible for me, but a great comfort for him. One song in particular shuts him right up and he listens. I rub his back and my fingers through his hair. Usually he falls asleep rather quick. Tonight was a different story, but it happens.
- Body functions: farting, peeing on the floor or me and burping are things for him to laugh at. Unfortunately, his father encourages it. It makes me crazy!!!
He is an angel sent to Ben and I. I mean that in the sense that he is a gift, as for being an actual angel right now leaves something open for negotiation. I am so grateful to have him! I am so grateful that he has this opportunity to spend a couple of years in a place that part of his ancestors are from and learn their language.
Yes he drives me crazy and tries my patience (what little I have) but I wouldn't trade him for the world!
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Crystal,
I loved your entry. Kids are so challenging yet so rewarding. I hope you are doing well. I have a blog if you want to check it out it's addysone.blogspot.com
Julie
Post a Comment